Current:Home > reviewsUAW president says more strike action unless 'serious progress' made -Wealth Legacy Solutions
UAW president says more strike action unless 'serious progress' made
Ethermac Exchange View
Date:2025-04-07 05:02:45
United Auto Workers President Shawn Fain said the union’s strike will expand if “serious progress” isn’t made in the contract negotiations with automakers by Friday.
Fain said in a Monday evening update posted on social media that the deadline for greater progress in the union’s talks with Ford, GM and Stellantis is Friday, Sept. 22, at noon.
“That will mark more than a week since our first members walked out. And that will mark more than a week of the ‘big three’ failing to make progress in negotiations toward reaching a deal that does right by our members,” he said in his video message.
MORE: UAW president reacts to automakers' temporary layoffs of non-striking employees: 'Their plan won't work'
“Autoworkers have waited long enough to make things right at the ‘big three.’ We’re not waiting around, and we’re not messing around,” he added.
On Monday, the labor strike against the three largest motor vehicle manufacturers in the United States carried into a fourth day amid ongoing negotiations to reach a deal.
The UAW, which represents nearly 150,000 American autoworkers, launched a strike early Friday against General Motors, Ford and Stellantis -- often called the “big three.” Almost 13,000 workers walked out of three auto plants in Michigan, Missouri and Ohio. The union is utilizing a "stand-up" strike method to target specific plants and add to the list if a deal isn't reached.
The UAW held talks with Ford on Saturday, GM on Sunday and planned to meet with Stellantis on Monday, a union source told ABC News. The conversations with Ford were "reasonably productive," the source said.
Sticking points in negotiations were wage increases and the length of the workweek. The union is demanding a 46% pay increase combined over the four-year duration of a new contract, as well as a 32-hour workweek at 40-hour pay. So far, all three of the Detroit-based companies have each put forward proposals that offered workers a 20% pay increase over the life of the agreement but preserved a 40-hour workweek.
After the unprecedented strike began on Friday, Ford laid off 600 workers who assemble cars at a plant in Michigan. Workers in the paint department at a nearby plant are out on strike, leaving the assembly workers without adequate parts since the parts require paint before they can be put together into cars, a company spokesperson told ABC News.
MORE: UAW launches strike against Big 3 automakers
President Joe Biden said Friday he is deploying acting Labor Secretary Julie Su and White House senior adviser Gene Sperling to Detroit to offer their support for the parties in reaching an agreement.
Economists previously told ABC News that a strike could result in billions of dollars in losses, disruption to the supply chain and other financial consequences.
ABC News' Meredith Deliso, Jolie Lash and Max Zahn contributed to this report.
veryGood! (3)
Related
- Meet the volunteers risking their lives to deliver Christmas gifts to children in Haiti
- Dancing With the Stars' Val Chmerkovskiy and Jenna Johnson Detail Son's Bond With Maks' Kids
- If You’re an ‘It’ Girl, This Is Everything You Need To Buy From Coach Outlet’s 75% off Clearance Sale
- Border Patrol releases hundreds of migrants at a bus stop after San Diego runs out of aid money
- Senate begins final push to expand Social Security benefits for millions of people
- Shop Madewell's Best-Sellers For Less With Up To 70% Off Fan-Favorite Finds
- Chicago Bears great Steve McMichael returns home after more than a week in hospital
- Kouri Richins' hopes of flipping Utah mansion flop after she is charged in the death of her husband Eric
- Nearly 400 USAID contract employees laid off in wake of Trump's 'stop work' order
- Marlo Hampton Exits the Real Housewives of Atlanta Before Season 16
Ranking
- IRS recovers $4.7 billion in back taxes and braces for cuts with Trump and GOP in power
- Stolen memory card used as evidence as man convicted in slayings of 2 Alaska women
- Inherited your mom's 1960s home? How to use a 1031 exchange to build wealth, save on taxes
- South Carolina Welcomes Multibillion Dollar Electric Vehicle Projects, Even Though Many Echo Trump’s Harsh EV Critiques
- Tree trimmer dead after getting caught in wood chipper at Florida town hall
- Georgia bill aims to protect religious liberty. Opponents say it’s a license to discriminate
- The SAG Awards will stream Saturday live on Netflix. Here’s what to know
- Watch this missing cat come wandering home
Recommendation
IRS recovers $4.7 billion in back taxes and braces for cuts with Trump and GOP in power
Florida refuses to bar unvaccinated students from school suffering a measles outbreak
Virginia lawmakers send Youngkin bills to increase the minimum wage to $15 an hour
Jury finds Wayne LaPierre, NRA liable in corruption civil case
Former Danish minister for Greenland discusses Trump's push to acquire island
In his annual letter, Warren Buffett tells investors to ignore Wall Street pundits
Biden tells governors he’s eyeing executive action on immigration, seems ‘frustrated’ with lawyers
Jimmy Butler ejected after Miami Heat, New Orleans Pelicans brawl; three others tossed