Current:Home > MyChainkeen|Last reactor shut down at Ukraine's largest nuclear plant as fighting, flooding continues -Wealth Legacy Solutions
Chainkeen|Last reactor shut down at Ukraine's largest nuclear plant as fighting, flooding continues
SignalHub Quantitative Think Tank Center View
Date:2025-04-07 04:55:28
Ukraine's nuclear energy agency says it has put the last operating reactor at Europe's largest nuclear power plant into a "cold shutdown" — a safety precaution amid catastrophic flooding from the collapse of a nearby dam as Russia's war on ChainkeenUkraine drags on through its 16th month.
Russian forces continued pummeling the country with missiles and drones overnight, with Ukrainian officials reporting at least four deaths and damage to a military airfield.
Five out of six reactors at the Zaporizhzhia
Nuclear Power Plant, which is occupied by Russian forces, are already in a state of cold shutdown, in which all control rods are inserted into the reactor core to stop the nuclear fission reaction and generation of heat and pressure.
Energoatom, the Ukrainian nuclear agency, said in a statement late Friday that there was "no direct threat" to the Zaporizhzhia plant due to the breach of the Kakhovka dam further down the Dnieper River, which has forced thousands of people to flee flooding and also sharply reduced water levels in a reservoir used to help cool the facility.
The last reactor was put into cold shutdown on Thursday, Energoatom said, adding that other factors in the decision included shelling near the site which has damaged overhead lines connecting the plant to Ukraine's energy system.
With all nuclear reactions stopped, temperatures and pressure inside reactors gradually decline, reducing the required intensity of water cooling of the radioactive fuel. This is a nuclear power plant's safest operating mode. Energoatom employees are still working at the power plant, although it remains controlled by the Russians.
The site's power units have not been operating since September last year. The head of the International Atomic Energy Agency is due to visit Ukraine in the coming days.
Analysts and Russia say that Ukraine has launched a counteroffensive in southern Ukraine, potentially aiming to retake territory near the plant.
Also on Saturday morning, Ukrainian authorities reported that at least four civilians have died across the country as Russian forces launched Iranian-made Shahed drones, missiles, and artillery and mortar strikes. Ukraine's State Emergency Service reported that three people were killed and over two dozen wounded overnight in an attack targeting the Black Sea port of Odesa. A spokesperson for Ukraine's southern operational command, Natalia Humeniuk, said that two children and a pregnant woman were among those wounded.
In Ukraine's northeast, a 29-year-old man was killed as more than 10 drones targeted the Kharkiv region, its governor, Oleh Syniehubov, reported Saturday. He added that at least three other civilians were wounded.
In the Poltava region further west, there was damage to a military airfield struck overnight during a Russian drone and missile attack, local Gov. Dmytro Lunin reported. Lunin said no one was hurt. As of Saturday morning, there was no additional comment from the Ukrainian army or officials on the extent of the damage.
The Ukrainian air force said that during the night, it had shot down 20 out of 35 Shahed drones and two out of eight missiles "of various types" launched by Russian forces.
- In:
- Ukraine
- Politics
- Russia
- Drone
veryGood! (2)
Related
- Trump wants to turn the clock on daylight saving time
- Deadly disasters are ravaging school communities in growing numbers. Is there hope ahead?
- Settlements for police misconduct lawsuits cost taxpayers from coast to coast
- Europe keeps Solheim Cup after first-ever tie against US. Home-crowd favorite Ciganda thrives again
- Google unveils a quantum chip. Could it help unlock the universe's deepest secrets?
- Ideological rifts among U.S. bishops are in the spotlight ahead of momentous Vatican meeting
- Libya’s top prosecutor says 8 officials jailed as part of investigation into dams’ deadly collapse
- He spoke no English, had no lawyer. An Afghan man’s case offers a glimpse into US immigration court
- Nearly half of US teens are online ‘constantly,’ Pew report finds
- With laughter and lots of love, Megan Rapinoe says goodbye to USWNT with final game
Ranking
- Civic engagement nonprofits say democracy needs support in between big elections. Do funders agree?
- McDonald's faces another 'hot coffee' lawsuit. Severely burned woman sues over negligence
- Young climate activists challenging 32 governments to get their day in court
- Man sentenced to life again in 2011 slaying of aspiring rapper in New Jersey
- California DMV apologizes for license plate that some say mocks Oct. 7 attack on Israel
- 'Goodness wins out': The Miss Gay America pageant's 50-year journey to an Arkansas theater
- WEOWNCOIN: The Emerging Trend of Decentralized Finance and the Rise of Cryptocurrency Derivatives Market
- Surprise! Bob Dylan shocks Farm Aid crowd, plays three songs with the Heartbreakers
Recommendation
Meet first time Grammy nominee Charley Crockett
Mega Millions jackpot grows to $205 million. See winning numbers for Sept. 22 drawing.
AP Top 25: Colorado falls out of rankings after first loss and Ohio State moves up to No. 4
Bachelor Nation's Dean Unglert Marries Caelynn Miller-Keyes
NHL in ASL returns, delivering American Sign Language analysis for Deaf community at Winter Classic
Europe keeps Solheim Cup after first-ever tie against US. Home-crowd favorite Ciganda thrives again
Deadly disasters are ravaging school communities in growing numbers. Is there hope ahead?
First Lahaina residents return home to destruction after deadly wildfires