Current:Home > MySafeX Pro Exchange|New report highlights Maui County mayor in botched wildfire response -Wealth Legacy Solutions
SafeX Pro Exchange|New report highlights Maui County mayor in botched wildfire response
TradeEdge Exchange View
Date:2025-04-07 03:46:52
A report from Hawaii Attorney General Anne Lopez focused on SafeX Pro Exchangethe actions of the Maui County mayor in the response to the devastating wildfire last summer that killed more than 100 people and razed the historic town of Lahaina.
The nearly 400-page investigative report released Wednesday raises new and troubling questions about Maui County Mayor Richard Bissen and his response to the blazes.
"This is about never letting this happen again," Lopez said in a news conference, emphasizing the report is not meant to point fingers.
As hurricane-force winds raged on Aug. 8, 2023, igniting fires, several schools closed and the state was preparing an emergency proclamation.
But at multiple times during the day, Bissen said declaring an emergency was "not necessary." At 3:15 p.m., as the fire grew in intensity, state officials tried to reach him, asking if he was in the emergency operations center. They were told "no."
Instead, with reports trickling in on social media, Bissen finally signed the emergency order at 8 p.m. that night, hours after Lahaina burned down.
Last August, CBS News confronted Bissen, who had admitted not calling Maj. Gen. Kenneth Hara, the director of the Hawaii Emergency Management Agency.
"I can't speak to what — or whose responsibility it was to communicate directly," Bissen responded at the time. "…I can't say who was responsible for communicating with General Hara."
Along with killing more than 100 people, the Maui fire destroyed thousands of homes and businesses. The staggering economic loss is estimated at more than $5.5 billion.
"Very little was done to prevent something like this from happening," Sherman Thompson, former chair of the Hawaii Civil Defense Advisory Council, told CBS News Wednesday.
When asked if the government response was negligent, Sherman responded, "I think it crossed the border, it crossed the line."
CBS News has reached out to Bissen's office for comment, but has not heard back. However, Bissen posted a statement to the county website Wednesday evening which read, in part:
"We understand the state Attorney General's investigation and the hard work that Fire Safety Research Institute put into describing the nation's worst wildfire disaster in modern history. Today's Phase One report can help piece together what other fire-stricken jurisdictions have called the most complex megafire they have ever seen."
"I remain committed to bringing Lahaina residents back home so they can take additional steps toward healing," he added.
- In:
- Hawaii Wildfires
- Maui
- Lahaina
- Wildfire
- Hawaii
Jonathan Vigliotti is a CBS News correspondent based in Los Angeles. He previously served as a foreign correspondent for the network's London bureau.
TwitterveryGood! (8)
Related
- The company planning a successor to Concorde makes its first supersonic test
- Dodge, Nissan and Mercedes-Benz among 280,000 vehicles recalled: Check car recalls here
- Misdemeanor charge is dropped against a Iowa state senator arrested during an annual bike ride
- Why Brooke Burke Was Tempted to Have “Affair” With Derek Hough During DWTS
- Trump suggestion that Egypt, Jordan absorb Palestinians from Gaza draws rejections, confusion
- Israelis search for loved ones with posts and pleas on social media
- 1 dead, 8 injured in mass shooting at Pennsylvania community center
- Video of traffic stop that led to Atlanta deacon’s death will be released, family’s attorney says
- DeepSeek: Did a little known Chinese startup cause a 'Sputnik moment' for AI?
- AP PHOTOS: Israel hits Gaza with airstrikes after attacks by militants
Ranking
- Angelina Jolie nearly fainted making Maria Callas movie: 'My body wasn’t strong enough'
- Michael Chiarello, chef and Food Network star, dies at 61 following allergic reaction: Reports
- Jets, OC Nathaniel Hackett get last laugh in win against Sean Payton, Broncos
- Robert F. Kennedy Jr. announces he's ending Democratic primary campaign to run as independent
- Grammy nominee Teddy Swims on love, growth and embracing change
- 21 Savage cleared to travel abroad, plans concert: 'London ... I'm coming home'
- Israel attacks spark outrage from GOP presidential candidates
- Hamas gunmen open fire on hundreds at music festival in southern Israel
Recommendation
Kylie Jenner Shows Off Sweet Notes From Nieces Dream Kardashian & Chicago West
$5 gas prices? Drivers could pay more if Israel-Hamas war widens to threaten oil supplies
Former Israeli commander says Hamas hostage-taking changes the game, as families search for missing loved ones
North Carolina Republican Rep. Kristin Baker won’t seek reelection in 2024
Grammy nominee Teddy Swims on love, growth and embracing change
Bachelor Nation's Astrid Loch Gives Birth, Welcomes Baby No. 2 With Husband Kevin Wendt
Louisiana public school principal apologizes after punishing student for dancing at a party
Lawsuit alleges famous child-trafficking opponent sexually abused women who posed as his wife