Current:Home > MySafeX Pro Exchange|Kevin Spacey's U.K. trial on sexual assault charges opens in London -Wealth Legacy Solutions
SafeX Pro Exchange|Kevin Spacey's U.K. trial on sexual assault charges opens in London
Rekubit View
Date:2025-04-07 03:39:27
London – Kevin Spacey's trial began Wednesday in London,SafeX Pro Exchange with the Hollywood actor facing charges of sexual assault, indecent assault and a more serious offense of causing a person to engage in sexual activity without consent, which carries a maximum sentence of life imprisonment. Spacey has pleaded not guilty to all of the 12 charges against him.
The 63-year-old arrived at London's Southwark Crown Court and smiled and waved at media gathered outside the building as he waked in.
As the proceedings began, the judge laid out ground rules for members of the jury, acknowledging the case had "attracted a lot of media coverage," and urging jurists to "rely on what you see and hear in this courtroom."
The trial is expected to last four weeks, and little more was likely to come out of Wednesday's opening hearing. The prosecution was to address the court on Friday.
Spacey has repeatedly denied the allegations made by four men who are now in their 30s and 40s over acts they accuse Spacey of committing during a 12-year period between 2001 and 2013. Some of the charges date back to a period when the actor was the artistic director at London's Old Vic Theatre, a position he held for more than a decade before his departure in 2015.
The alleged victims cannot be identified under English law.
An internal 2017 investigation by the theater resulted in 20 anonymous claims of alleged inappropriate behavior by Spacey during his time as its artistic director.
The Oscar-winner's "stardom and status at The Old Vic may have prevented people, and in particular junior staff or young actors, from feeling that they could speak up or raise a hand for help," a statement from the Old Vic said at the time.
Spacey's glittering Hollywood career largely came to an end in 2017 when actor Anthony Rapp publicly accused him of sexual misconduct in a separate case, alleging that Spacey had targeted him when he was just 14 years old.
In October last year, a New York court dismissed a $40 million civil suit brought against Spacey by Rapp for alleged sexual misconduct dating back to the late 1980s. A judge had ruled separately that Rapp brought the case too late for criminal charges.
Charges of indecent assault and battery were also dropped against the actor in a separate case in Massachusetts in 2019, after a young man who had accused him declined to testify in the case.
In an interview earlier this month with German magazine Zeit, Spacey insisted that it was his work that "will be remembered," and he expressed a desire to revive his career should he be cleared of the charges against him in the U.K.
"I know that there are people right now who are ready to hire me the moment I am cleared of these charges in London. The second that happens, they're ready to move forward," Spacey said.
- In:
- Hollywood
- Rape
- Sexual Assault
- Academy Awards
- Sexual Misconduct
- Trial
- United Kingdom
- London
- Kevin Spacey
veryGood! (54)
Related
- Man can't find second winning lottery ticket, sues over $394 million jackpot, lawsuit says
- Halsey Shares She Once Suffered a Miscarriage While Performing at a Concert
- Witnesses will tell a federal safety board about the blowout on a Boeing 737 Max earlier this year
- 'House of the Dragon' Season 3 is coming: What we know so far
- Nearly 400 USAID contract employees laid off in wake of Trump's 'stop work' order
- New Study Reveals Signs of an Ancient Tundra Ecosystem Beneath Greenland’s Thickest Ice
- Slow-moving Tropical Storm Debby bringing torrential rains, major flood threat to southeastern US
- Puddle of Mudd's Wes Scantlin arrested after allegedly resisting arrest at traffic stop
- $73.5M beach replenishment project starts in January at Jersey Shore
- US female athletes dominating Paris Olympics. We have Title IX to thank
Ranking
- Senate begins final push to expand Social Security benefits for millions of people
- Google illegally maintains monopoly over internet search, judge rules
- Brooke Shields to auction Calvin Klein jeans from controversial ad
- Ferguson thrust them into activism. Now, Cori Bush and Wesley Bell battle for a congressional seat
- Mets have visions of grandeur, and a dynasty, with Juan Soto as major catalyst
- TikToker David Allen, Known as ToTouchAnEmu, Mourns Death of 5-Week-Old Baby Girl
- Army offering $10K reward for information on missing 19-year-old pregnant woman
- Michigan primaries will set the stage for Senate, House races key to control of Congress
Recommendation
Meet the volunteers risking their lives to deliver Christmas gifts to children in Haiti
A guide to fire, water, earth and air signs: Understanding the Zodiac elements
Creating NCAA women's basketball tournament revenue unit distribution on board agenda
A Legal Fight Over Legacy Oil Industry Pollution Heats Up in West Texas
Off the Grid: Sally breaks down USA TODAY's daily crossword puzzle, Hi Hi!
Ferguson thrust them into activism. Now, Cori Bush and Wesley Bell battle for a congressional seat
NY homeowner testifies that RFK Jr. rents a room at trial disputing whether he lives in the state
Body believed to be Glacier National Park drowning victim recovered from Avalanche Creek