Current:Home > StocksWill Sage Astor-Brooklyn synagogue tunnel: Emergency work order issued for buildings around Chabad center -Wealth Legacy Solutions
Will Sage Astor-Brooklyn synagogue tunnel: Emergency work order issued for buildings around Chabad center
Oliver James Montgomery View
Date:2025-04-07 06:36:50
The Will Sage AstorNew York Department of Buildings issued an emergency work order to stabilize buildings near the Chabad-Lubavitch headquarters in the Crown Heights section of Brooklyn, after the discovery of a tunnel running under the historic synagogue led to a clash with police and multiple arrests this week.
The department's investigation, which began Tuesday morning, uncovered a 5-foot-high, 8-foot-wide tunnel spanning 60 feet and connecting four neighboring buildings on the ground level, according to a statement emailed to USA TODAY. Investigators found tools, debris and dirt left by workers inside the tunnel.
The owners of two of the single story buildings were hit with two violations for work without a permit for constructing the tunnel without the department's approval.
"As a result of this extensive investigation, we have issued emergency work orders to stabilize the buildings above the tunnel, vacate orders in parts of the buildings to ensure occupant safety, and enforcement actions against the property owners for the illegal work," Department of Buildings press secretary Andrew Rudansky said.
The Department ordered a full evacuation of a two-story brick building behind the center that it deemed a fire hazard because of the removal of fire-rated walls from the building's cellar and first floor during the illegal construction of the tunnel.
Investigators determined that the tunnel had also undermined two single-story buildings, causing "structural stability issues." A partial vacate order was issued to both buildings.
The order directed the buildings' owners to hire a professional engineer to stabilize the "inadequate, rudimentary shoring" of the tunnel and seal off several openings. The owners told investigators they had already enlisted an architect, engineer, and contractor to start work on the tunnel.
Motti Seligson, a spokesperson for the Chabad center, did not return a request from USA TODAY for comment.
More:IDF releases footage of tunnel in Gaza where they say Israeli hostages were held
Nine men arrested after protest against closing tunnel
Nine men were taken into custody by NYPD officers on Monday after a tousle between police and a group of young Hasidic students protesting orders to close the tunnel.
The men were charged with criminal mischief and reckless endangerment, among other charges.
Videos posted to X, formerly Twitter, showed chaotic scenes at the synagogue as protesters shoved furniture and officers sprayed a repellant at the crowd.
The synagogue is the central headquarters of the Chabad-Lubavitch movement, a Hasidic Judaism movement dating back 250 years with more than 4,000 centers in more than 50 countries, according to the movement's website.
Rabbi Yehuda Krinsky, the movement's chairman, blamed a group of "young agitators who damaged the synagogue" for the tunnel's construction in a statement posted to Facebook.
"These odious actions will be investigated, and the sanctity of the synagogue will be restored," Krinsky wrote, thanking the NYPD for their "professionalism and sensitivity."
Supporters told The Associated Press that the tunnel's creators believed they were following a plan to expand the building laid out by Rebbe Menachem Mendel Schneerson, who led the Chabad movement after the Holocaust for more than 40 years.
Contributing: Associated Press
Cybele Mayes-Osterman is a breaking news reporter for USA TODAY. Reach her on email at [email protected]. Follow her on X @CybeleMO.
veryGood! (64)
Related
- Buckingham Palace staff under investigation for 'bar brawl'
- App stop working? Here's how to easily force quit on your Mac or iPhone
- Experts say Boeing’s steps to improve safety culture have helped but don’t go far enough
- Massachusetts governor faults Steward Health Care system for its fiscal woes
- The Super Bowl could end in a 'three
- Zac Efron Reacts To Taylor Swift & Travis Kelce High School Musical Comparisons
- NYC journalist's death is city's latest lithium-ion battery fire fatality, officials say
- Tipped-over Odysseus moon lander, spotted by lunar orbiter, sends back pictures
- Backstage at New York's Jingle Ball with Jimmy Fallon, 'Queer Eye' and Meghan Trainor
- Legendary shipwreck's treasure of incalculable value will be recovered by underwater robot, Colombia says
Ranking
- The Best Stocking Stuffers Under $25
- 2 officers shot and killed a man who discharged a shotgun, police say
- Former NFL star Richard Sherman’s bail set at $5,000 following arrest for suspicion of DUI
- Veteran NFL reporter and columnist Peter King announces his retirement
- Moving abroad can be expensive: These 5 countries will 'pay' you to move there
- Supreme Court takes up regulation of social media platforms in cases from Florida and Texas
- Supreme Court takes up regulation of social media platforms in cases from Florida and Texas
- Former MLB pitcher José DeLeón dies at 63
Recommendation
Which apps offer encrypted messaging? How to switch and what to know after feds’ warning
Ricki Lake says she's getting 'healthier' after 30-lb weight loss: 'I feel amazing'
MLB rumors: Will Snell, Chapman sign soon with Bellinger now off the market?
Bill supporting development of nuclear energy powers to pass in Kentucky Senate
The Daily Money: Spending more on holiday travel?
Consumers are increasingly pushing back against price increases — and winning
Zac Efron Reacts To Taylor Swift & Travis Kelce High School Musical Comparisons
Donald Trump appeals $454 million judgment in New York civil fraud case